Doing your best work requires focus and energy, but it’s hard to stay focused for eight hours straight.
How can you feel more energized throughout the workday?
- Tailor your tasks to your energy. Most people are at their best in mid-morning and late afternoon.
- Hence, organize your to-do list around these peaks and valleys.
- Get up and move. Any kind of physical movement will boost your alertness and energy levels. Take a brisk walk around the block, climb some stairs, or stretch at your desk.
- Meditate. Mindfulness exercises are a great way to engage in restoration during the day.
- Don’t rely on caffeine. Rather than giving you more energy, coffee masks the effects of low energy levels. Use it strategically, instead of as a crutch.
- Get more sleep. Studies have shown that being sleep deprived has the same impact on your brain as a couple of glasses of wine. The best way to improve your brain’s performance is to simply get more rest.
- Excelling at work requires focus and energy. But it’s hard to sustain these for eight hours.
- To refocus and reenergize during the day, people can tailor tasks to their energy peaks and valleys, periodically get up and move around, meditate, avoid using caffeine as a crutch, and get more sleep.
Applying in Our Lives
- If you find it hard to sustain your focus and energy during a full workday, start handling your most challenging tasks during times of the day when you feel most focused and energized.
- Periodically during your work day, get up and move around-take a short, brisk walk; stretch at your desk; or climb some stairs.
- Try mindfulness and meditation exercises at several points during the day.
- Resist any urge to rely on caffeine as a crutch; it masks the effects of low energy levels.
- Set an earlier bedtime so you get the sleep you need to improve your brain’s performance.