عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ لَا تَحَاسَدُوا وَلَا تَنَاجَشُوا وَلَا تَبَاغَضُوا وَلَا تَدَابَرُوا وَلَا يَبِعْ بَعْضُكُمْ عَلَى بَيْعِ بَعْضٍ وَكُونُوا عِبَادَ اللَّهِ إِخْوَانًا الْمُسْلِمُ أَخُو الْمُسْلِمِ لَا يَظْلِمُهُ وَلَا يَخْذُلُهُ وَلَا يَحْقِرُهُ التَّقْوَى هَاهُنَا وَيُشِيرُ إِلَى صَدْرِهِ ثَلَاثَ مَرَّاتٍ بِحَسْبِ امْرِئٍ مِنْ الشَّرِّ أَنْ يَحْقِرَ أَخَاهُ الْمُسْلِمَ كُلُّ الْمُسْلِمِ عَلَى الْمُسْلِمِ حَرَامٌ دَمُهُ وَمَالُهُ وَعِرْضُهُ
On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Do not envy one another, and do not inflate prices for one another, and do not hate one another, and do not turn away from one another, and do not undercut one another in trade, but [rather] be slaves of Allah and brothers [amongst yourselves]. A Muslim is the brother of a Muslim: he does not oppress him, nor does he fail him, nor does he lie to him, nor does he hold him in contempt. Taqwa (piety) is right here [and he pointed to his chest three times]. It is evil enough for a man to hold his brother Muslim in contempt. The whole of a Muslim is inviolable for another Muslim: his blood, his property, and his honour.”
Reference: 40 Hadith by Imam Nawawi, hadith no. 35
Grade: Sahih (authentic)
Translation adapted from sunnah.com
1. Islam prohibits bad character, including
c. Hate and spite
e. Buying and selling goods that have been promised to others
2. All Muslims are brothers and sisters in faith. Therefore, it is forbidden to hurt, humiliate, and insult one another.
3. It is evil for a Muslim to hold another Muslim in contempt. Disparaging others and considering oneself more noble is a form of pride and arrogance.
4. Other heinous acts which are unequivocally forbidden for a Muslim upon his brethren:
b. Abusing their property
c. Degrading their honour
5. Taqwa, which is full submission to Allah, rests in the heart.
Let us preserve our fellow Muslims’ rights by practicing good conduct and not harming one another.
To subscribe to A Hadith A Day (AHAD), click on the Telegram channel link below:
Lovin’ our channel? Follow us on Facebook! Like us at
Prefer your hadith in Malay? Join our sister channel: