عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ قَالَ مَنْ عَادَى لِي وَلِيًّا فَقَدْ آذَنْتُهُ بِالْحَرْبِ وَمَا تَقَرَّبَ إِلَيَّ عَبْدِي بِشَيْءٍ أَحَبَّ إِلَيَّ مِمَّا افْتَرَضْتُ عَلَيْهِ وَمَا يَزَالُ عَبْدِي يَتَقَرَّبُ إِلَيَّ بِالنَّوَافِلِ حَتَّى أُحِبَّهُ فَإِذَا أَحْبَبْتُهُ كُنْتُ سَمْعَهُ الَّذِي يَسْمَعُ بِهِ وَبَصَرَهُ الَّذِي يُبْصِرُ بِهِ وَيَدَهُ الَّتِي يَبْطِشُ بِهَا وَرِجْلَهُ الَّتِي يَمْشِي بِهَا وَإِنْ سَأَلَنِي لَأُعْطِيَنَّهُ وَلَئِنْ اسْتَعَاذَنِي لَأُعِيذَنَّهُ
On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Verily Allah ta’ala has said: ‘Whosoever shows enmity to a wali (friend) of Mine, then I have declared war against him. And My servant does not draw near to Me with anything more beloved to Me than the religious duties I have obligated upon him. And My servant continues to draw near to me with nafl (supererogatory) deeds until I Love him. When I Love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, and his sight with which he sees, and his hand with which he strikes, and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him; and were he to seek refuge with Me, I would surely grant him refuge.’”
Narrated in Al-Bukhari, Hadith 25
Grade: Sahih (authentic)
Translation adapted from sunnah.com
- The wali of Allah are those who are devoted and sincere in doing righteous deeds, with faith and God-consciousness (taqwa), in line with the Quran and Sunnah.
- Those who inflict pain on a God-conscious believer should be aware that they incur the wrath of Allah.
- Carrying out obligatory religious duties is the act of faith most loved by Allah.
- Refraining from evil deeds is part of one’s obligatory religious duties.
- Drawing near to Allah by carrying out nafl (supererogatory) deeds will enable one to achieve the love of Allah even more.
- According to Ibn Rajab, whoever strives to draw closer to Allah with obligatory and nafl deeds, their rank in the sight of Allah will be elevated. When they speak, they speak because of Allah. When they see, they see because of Allah.
- Among the favours granted to the wali of Allah is that when they ask for something, Allah will grant it to them.
Let us strive to increase our righteous deeds, with sincerity and piety, so as to be included among His wali.