عَنْ جَابِرِ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ أَنَّهُ سَمِعَ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَقُولُ إِذَا دَخَلَ الرَّجُلُ بَيْتَهُ فَذَكَرَ اللَّهَ عِنْدَ دُخُولِهِ وَعِنْدَ طَعَامِهِ قَالَ الشَّيْطَانُ لَا مَبِيتَ لَكُمْ وَلَا عَشَاءَ وَإِذَا دَخَلَ وَلَمْ يَذْكُرْ اللَّهَ عِنْدَ دُخُولِهِ قَالَ الشَّيْطَانُ أَدْرَكْتُمْ الْمَبِيتَ فَإِذَا لَمْ يَذْكُرْ اللَّهَ عِنْدَ طَعَامِهِ قَالَ أَدْرَكْتُمْ الْمَبِيتَ وَالْعَشَاءَ
It was narrated from Jabir bin ‘Abdullah that he heard the Prophet (ﷺ) say:
“When a man enters his house, and remembers Allah when he enters and when he eats, Satan says: ‘You have no place to stay and no supper.’ If he enters his house and does not remember Allah upon entering, Satan says: ‘You have found a place to stay.’ And if he does not remember Allah when he eats, (Satan) says: ‘You have found a place to stay and supper.’”
- Grade: Sahih
- Reference: Sunan Ibn Majah 3887
- Hadith translation obtained from: https://sunnah.com/ibnmajah/34/61
- It is Muslim etiquette to be in remembrance of Allah in every action.
- Those who remember Allah are shunned by the Devil.
- Whoever remembers Allah upon entering their home deters the Devil from it.
- Whoever remembers Allah while eating deters the Devil as if he recited the Basmalah (recitation of the Allah’s name).
- Whoever enters a home without remembering Allah, the Devil will also enter their home. Whoever eats without remembering Allah, the Devil will share his meal.
Let us ensure to remember Allah upon entering our homes and when eating.