عَنْ حَكِيمِ بْنِ حِزَامٍ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ عَنْ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ الْيَدُ الْعُلْيَا خَيْرٌ مِنْ الْيَدِ السُّفْلَى وَابْدَأْ بِمَنْ تَعُولُ وَخَيْرُ الصَّدَقَةِ عَنْ ظَهْرِ غِنًى وَمَنْ يَسْتَعْفِفْ يُعِفَّهُ اللَّهُ وَمَنْ يَسْتَغْنِ يُغْنِهِ اللَّهُ
Hakim ibn Hizam narrated that The Prophet(pbuh) said: ‘The upper hand is better than the lower hand (i.e. he who gives in charity is better than he who takes it). One should begin by giving to his dependents. And the best charity is that, which is given by a wealthy person (from the money which is left over after his expenses). And whoever abstains from asking others for some financial help, Allah will provide for him and save him from asking others; Allah will make him self-sufficient.’
- To give is better than to beg and receive from others.
- Spending in charity should be directed towards one’s closest family members first.
- The best charity is that which is given out after one’s basic needs are fulfilled.
- One should make effort to provide for himself and refrain from scrounging.
- Allah will provide and suffice the needs of those who work to provide sustenance for themselves.
Let us be of those who love to give and spend in charity!
- Grade: Saheeh (authentic) – Imam al-Bukhari