The Woman of Paradise
عَنْ عِمْرَانَ أَبِي بَكْرٍ قَالَ حَدَّثَنِي عَطَاءُ بْنُ أَبِي رَبَاحٍ قَالَ قَالَ لِي ابْنُ عَبَّاسٍ أَلَا أُرِيكَ امْرَأَةً مِنْ أَهْلِ الْجَنَّةِ قُلْتُ بَلَى قَالَ هَذِهِ الْمَرْأَةُ السَّوْدَاءُ أَتَتْ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ فَقَالَتْ إِنِّي أُصْرَعُ وَإِنِّي أَتَكَشَّفُ فَادْعُ اللَّهَ لِي قَالَ إِنْ شِئْتِ صَبَرْتِ وَلَكِ الْجَنَّةُ وَإِنْ شِئْتِ دَعَوْتُ اللَّهَ أَنْ يُعَافِيَكِ فَقَالَتْ أَصْبِرُ فَقَالَتْ إِنِّي أَتَكَشَّفُ فَادْعُ اللَّهَ لِي أَنْ لَا أَتَكَشَّفَ فَدَعَا لَهَا
Ibn Abbas said to me, ‘May I show you a woman of Paradise?’
I said, ‘Yes.’
He said, ‘Here is this dark-complexioned woman. She came to the Prophet (ﷺ) and said, “I am suffering from falling sickness and I become naked; supplicate Allah for me,” whereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said, “Show endurance as you can do and there would be Paradise for you and, if you desire, I supplicate Allah that He may cure you.” She said, “I am prepared to show endurance (but the unbearable trouble is) that I become naked, so supplicate Allah that He should not let me become naked,” so he supplicated for her.’
Grade: Sahih (Muslim, hadith 2576)
Hadith translation from sunnah.com
1. All types of sickness come from Allah.
2. We are encouraged to make an effort to treat our sickness, along with praying for our health.
3. Have patience and endurance when sick by not complaining and being resentful towards Allah. Abstain from complaining, being angry, or saying bad words that show resentment towards Allah.
4. Pray that Allah takes care of us throughout the duration of the sickness.
5. Those who are patient and have endurance during ill times are promised Paradise, like the woman referred to above